- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Kloster Limburg (Limburg Monastery)
Kloster Limburg (Limburg Monastery) Review
Overlooking the suburb of Grethen are the ruins of Kloster Limburg. Emperor Konrad II laid the cornerstone in 1030, supposedly on the same day that he laid the cornerstone of the Kaiserdom in Speyer. The monastery was never completely rebuilt after a fire in 1504, but it's a majestic backdrop for open-air performances in summer. From the tree-shaded terrace of the Klosterschänke restaurant ($-$$), adjacent to the ruins, you can combine good food and wine with a great view (closed Monday).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- German Holidays! Flights to Frankfurt From 565 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Book 3-Star Admiral in Frankfurt Fr $81+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Frankfurt for Less: Hotels Fr $127+/Nt Travelocity
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Frankfurt Fr $1003 Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $2,489 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
We are planning a driving holiday for 7 days in southern Germany with our 6 month old son.
Our plan is to drive from Munich -> Fussen (2 nights) -> Rothenburg (2 nights) -> Wurzburg -> Bamburg Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more