- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Bacharach, a derivative of the Latin Bacchi ara (altar of Bacchus), has long been associated with wine. Like Rüdesheim, Bingen, and Kaub, it was a shipping station where barrels would interrupt their Rhine journey for land transport. Riesling wine from the town's most famous vineyard, the Bacharacher Hahn, is served on the KD Rhine steamers, and Riesling is used in local cooking for marinades and sauces; you can even find Riesling ice cream. In late June you can sample wines at the Weinblütenfest (Vine Blossom Festival) in the side-valley suburb of Steeg and, in late August, at Kulinarische Sommernacht in Bacharach proper (www.kulinarische-sommernacht.de).
Park on the riverbank and enter the town through one of its medieval gateways. You can ascend the 14th-century town wall for a walk along the ramparts around the town, then stroll along the main street (one street but three names: Koblenzer Strasse, Oberstrasse, and Mainzer Strasse) for a look at patrician manors, typically built around a Hof (courtyard), and half-timber houses. Haus Sickingen, Posthof, Zollhof, Rathaus (Town Hall), and Altes Haus are fine examples.
Bacharach at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Rhineland
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- D?sseldorf Savings! Book at NH Duesseldorf City Nord Fr $75+/Nt Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- 4-Star Park Inn by Radisson Duesseldorf Sud Fr $84+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $2,539 Expedia
- May deal: InterCity Duesseldorf Fr $116+/Nt — $116 Save with Expedia, $20/night less
- Save at 4-Star Mercure Koeln West: $97 & Up in May — $97 Expedia