The Rhineland Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Drachenfels: This dramatic castle in Königswintur crowns a high hill overlooking the Rhine.
Fastnacht: Germany's Fastnacht (Carnival festivities) culminate with huge parades, round-the clock music, and dancing in Düsseldorf, Köln, and Mainz the week before Ash Wednesday.
Rhine in flames: These massive displays of fireworks take place the first Saturday in May in Linz-Bonn; the first Saturday in July in Bingen-Rüdesheim; the second Saturday in August in Koblenz; the second Saturday in September in Oberwesel; and the third Saturday in September in St. Goar.
The romance of the Rhine: From cruises to Rhine-view rooms, castles to terraced vineyards, the Rhine does not disappoint.
Spectacular wine: The light white wines of the Rhine and Mosel are distinctive, and a whole culinary tradition has grown up around them.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! D?sseldorf Fr $135+/Nt Travelocity
- 3.5-Star Tulip Inn Dusseldorf Arena Fr $159+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $44/night less
- Journey on Uniworld Boutique Cruises to Cologne: 7 Nts Fr $2,539 Expedia
- InterCity Duesseldorf on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $115+/Nt — $115 Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- 3.5-Star Das Mutterhaus & Tagungszentrum Fr $141+/Nt — $141 Hotels.com