- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Rochuskapelle (St. Roch Chapel)
Rochuskapelle (St. Roch Chapel) Review
The forested plateau of the Rochusberg (St. Roch Hill) is the pretty setting of the Rochuskapelle. Originally built in 1666 to celebrate the end of the plague, it has been rebuilt twice. On August 16, 1814, Goethe attended the consecration festivities, the forerunner of today's Rochusfest, a weeklong folk festival in mid-August. The chapel (open during Sunday services at 8 and 10) contains an altar dedicated to St. Hildegard and relics and furnishings from the convents she founded on the Ruppertsberg (in the suburb of Bingerbrück) and in Eibingen (east of Rüdesheim).
Hildegard Forum. The Hildegard Forum, near the chapel, has exhibits related to St. Hildegard, a medieval herb garden, and a restaurant serving tasty, wholesome foods—many based on Hildegard's nutritional teachings. The lunch buffets (Tuesday-Saturday €9.9, Sunday €17.5) are a good value. Rochusberg 1, 55411. 06721/181-000. www.hildegard-forum.de. Tues.-Sun. 11-6.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- D?sseldorf Savings! Book at Lindner Congress Fr $223+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Radisson Blu Media Harbour , Dusseldorf Fr $214+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $179/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $2,539 Expedia
- Innside Premium s Dusseldorf Seestern in May: $91 & Up — $91 Save with Expedia, $36/night less
- 4-Star Park Inn by Radisson Duesseldorf Sud Fr $84+/Nt — $84 Save with Hotels.com, $17/night less
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
We are traveling in July, have 1st class passes for Germany and 2nd class for Switzerland. Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more