- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
You can circumnavigate the town with the narrated tours of the Römer-Express trolley or a tourist office bus. Both cost €7 and depart from Porta Nigra, near the tourist office. There is also a "hop on, hop off" bus. A 24-hour ticket on it costs €10.
There are also toga tours every Saturday at 12:30 May through October, in which actors dressed in Roman costume bring the history of the amphitheater, the Kaiserthermen, and the old town gate to life. A tour lasts two hours and costs €9. Reservations are essential. If you don't speak German, speak up! The tour guide and/or someone else in the group probably speak some English and will translate the basic points. The tourist office sells tickets for all tours and also leads various walks. A tour in English (€7.50) departs Saturday, May through October, at 1:30.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Low D?sseldorf Rate: Book Fr $167+/Nt Hotels.com
- Book the Renaissance Dusseldorf 3 Nts in May Fr $99+/Nt Save with Expedia, $24/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $2,539 Expedia
- 4-Star Radisson Blu Scandinavia , Dusseldorf Fr $171+/Nt — $171 Save with Hotels.com, $138/night less
- D?sseldorf Savings! Book at Lindner Congress Fr $227+/Nt — $227 Expedia