The Romantic Road Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Neuschwanstein: Walt Disney may have spread the word about this castle, but the sight of the original, rising up against its theatrical backdrop of green mountainside, speaks for itself.
Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber: Patrol the city walls with the night watchman, explore the streets in the morning light (perfect for photos), then get out of town before the tour buses arrive.
Wieskirche: A slight detour off the Romantic Road, this "Church of the Meadow" is a rococo jewel.
Ulm's Münster: It takes 768 steps to reach the top of the highest church steeple in the world, but the incredible view is worth the effort.
Wurzburg's Residenz: The best artists of the 18th century, including Neumann and Tiepolo, helped create the lavishly ostentatious palace.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $175 & Up: Steigenberger Drei Mohren 4.5-Star Hotel in Augsburg Save with Expedia, $30/night less
- Book 3.5-Star Augusta Fr $142+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3-Star BEST WESTERN Dasing-Augsburg in Augsburg Fr $101+/Nt — $101 Expedia