- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The baroque city of Würzburg, the pearl of the Romantic Road, is a heady example of what happens when great genius teams up with great wealth. Beginning in the 10th century, Würzburg was ruled by powerful (and rich) prince-bishops, who created the city with all the remarkable attributes you see today.
The city is at the junction of two age-old trade routes, in a calm valley backed by vineyard-covered hills. Festung Marienberg, a fortified castle on the steep hill across the Main River, overlooks the town. Constructed between 1200 and 1600, the fortress was the residence of the prince-bishops for 450 years.
Present-day Würzburg is by no means completely original. On March 16, 1945, seven weeks before Germany capitulated, Würzburg was all but obliterated by Allied saturation bombing. The 20-minute raid destroyed 87% of the city and killed at least 4,000 people. Reconstruction has returned most of the city's famous sights to their former splendor. Except for some buildings with modern shops, it remains a largely authentic restoration.
Würzburg at a Glance
- Alte Mainbrücke (Old Main Bridge)
- Alte Universität (Old University)
- Alter Kranen (Old Crane)
- Augustinerkirche (Church of St. Augustine)
- Bürgerspital (Almshouse)
- Dom St. Kilian (St. Kilian Basilica)
- Festung Marienberg (Marienberg Fortress)
- Haus zum Falken
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Romantic Road
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Augsburg: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $156+/Nt Expedia
- Augsburg Savings! Book at BEST WESTERN Dasing-Augsburg Fr $99+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Augusta Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Expedia