- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Greek Fast Food
Souvlaki is the original Greek fast food: spit-roasted or grilled meat, tomatoes, onions, and garlicky tzatziki wrapped in a pita to go. Greeks on the go have always eaten street food such as the endless variations of cheese pie, koulouri (sesame-covered bread rings), roasted chestnuts or ears of corn, and palm-size paper bags of nuts. But modern lifestyles and the arrival of foreign pizza and burger chains have cultivated a taste for fast food—and spawned several local brands definitely worth checking out. Goody's serves burgers and spaghetti as well as some salads and sandwiches. Items like baguettes with grilled vegetables or seafood salads are seasonal additions to the menu. At I Pitta tou Pappou you can sample several takes on souvlaki: grilled chicken breast or pork-and-lamb patties, each served with a special sauce. Everest is tops when it comes to tost—oval-shaped sandwich buns with any combination of fillings, from omelets and smoked turkey breast to fries, roasted red peppers, and various spreads. It also sells sweet and savory pies, ice cream, and desserts. Its main rival is Grigoris, a chain of sandwich and pie shops that also runs the City Espresso bars. If you want to sit down while you eat your fast food, look for a Flocafe Espresso Bar, where you can find great iced espresso freddo coffee. Along with espresso, frappé,filtro (drip), and cappuccino, they also serve a selection of pastries and sandwiches, including brioche with mozzarella and pesto.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off Windstar Cruises