- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Athens taxi meter starts at EUR 1, and, even if you join other passengers, you must add this amount to your final charge. The minimum fare is EUR 2.80. The basic charge is EUR 0.48 per kilometer (½ mi); this increases to EUR 0.84 between midnight and 5 am or if you go outside city limits.
There are surcharges for holidays (EUR 1), trips to and from the airport (EUR 3.40), and rides to (but not from) the port, train stations, and bus terminals (EUR 0.95). There is also a EUR 0.35 charge for each suitcase over 22 pounds, but drivers expect EUR 0.35 for each bag anyway. Waiting time is EUR 9.60 per hour. Radio taxis charge an additional EUR 3 to EUR 5 for the pickup.
Athens 1 Intertaxi (210/921-2800. www.athens1.gr.)
Ermis taxi service (210/411-5200 or 801116300.)
Radio Taxi Hellas (210/645-7000 or. www.radiotaxihellas.gr.)
Parthenon Radio Taxi (210/532-3300.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises