Attica, the Saronic Gulf Islands, and Delphi Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Attica, the Saronic Gulf Islands, and Delphi Restaurant Reviews
Athenians often forsake traditional Greek tavernas downtown in lieu of the most obscure little taverns in the market towns and villages of Attica, as well as along the backstreets of the Saronic gulf islands. Not only are the idyllic surrounds a draw but the food is a triumph of local ingredients. Since much of Attica's vegetation is used to support herds of grazing sheep and the omnivorous goat, the meat of both animals is a staple in many country tavernas. Rural tavernas serve big tapsia (pans) of pastitsio (layers of pasta, meat, and cheese) orpapoutsakia (sliced eggplant with minced meat or with tomatoes and onion)—all tasty, inexpensive meals. That noted, vegetarians will be able to put together an unforgettable meal of wild greens, pies, homemade noodles cooked in fresh tomato sauce, fasolia (baked broad beans), and thick dips.
On the Saronic gulf islands and in the coastal town of Galaxidi, fresh fish and seafood courses dominate. Because fresh fish is expensive, and billed by weight, a meal for two is likely to cost more than EUR 50. Ask the price and weight of seafood before ordering (and order an exact amount, as the price is usually more than EUR 60 per kilo), or stick to less-expensive choices like calamari, sardines (excellent grilled), or the finger-size atherina (silver smelts).
Browse Attica, the Saronic Gulf Islands, and Delphi Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off Windstar Cruises