- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Orange KTEL buses (210/880-8080) leave from Aigyptou Square, off Pedion Areos Park, for Sounion (also spelled Sounio). It's a two-hour journey with buses that follow either an inland (EUR 5.20) or seaside (EUR 5.70) route. The inland buses run daily, about an hour apart, from 5:45 AM to 8:30 PM, passing through points including Koropi, Markopoulo, and Lavrio. Coastal buses (also about an hour apart) run between 6 AM and 9 PM daily, hitting spots including Varkiza and Legrena. Unfortunately for sunset-gazers, there aren't buses returning from the site later than 7:30 or 8 PM (in summer).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off Windstar Cruises