- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Corfu Restaurant Reviews
Corfiot food specialties tend to reflect the island's Venetian heritage. Those worth a try are soffritto (veal cooked in a sauce of vinegar, parsley, and plenty of garlic) served with rice or potatoes; pastitsada (a derivation of the Italian dish spezzatino—layers of beef and pasta, called macaronia in Greek, cooked in a rich and spicy tomato sauce and topped off with béchamel sauce). The island is famed for its old olive groves; Corfiot olive oil has a slightly bitter tang.
Other tantalizing treats include bourdetto (fish stewed in tomato sauce with lots of hot red pepper) and bianco (whole fish stewed with potatoes, herbs, black pepper, and lemon juice).
Corfu doesn't have many vineyards, but if you find a restaurant that has its own barrel wine, try it—you'll rarely be disappointed. Two drinks that are legacies of the British are tsitsibira (ginger-beer), often drunk while watching cricket, and the orange-color liqueur made from kumquats, which the colonists first planted on the island. Locals say the liqueur, available at any tourist shop, is an aphrodisiac. Look also for a delicious lemon-, or kumquat-flavor jellied candy, coated in powdered sugar, called loukoumia and made in Corfu. Bottled water can be bought everywhere—Corfu's salty tap water isnot one of its pleasures.
Browse Corfu Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $699 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise Royal Caribbean
- Albania, Macedonia & Beyond IExplore
- Greece Experience — $3,125 IExplore
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise — $549 Royal Caribbean