Boat and Ferry Travel
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Boat and Ferry Travel
There are no ferries from Athens/Piraeus to Corfu town. From the Greek mainland, ferries operated by Anek, Agoudimos Lines, Blue Star lines, and Minoan sail to Corfu town from the port cities of Igoumenitsa and Patras, and from the island of Paxos. In winter, during severe weather conditions, the ferries from Igoumenitsa may stop running. In addition, many ferries arrive in Corfu hailing from Brindisi, in southern Italy—a frequent and traditional way travelers hop from Italy to Greece.
From Brindisi, Agoudimos Lines offers six sailings a week to Corfu (about 15 hours, EUR 60), and from July to mid-September, SNAV operates high-speed catamaran services (3 hours, EUR 75-EUR 150). Other ferries depart from Ancona, Bari, and Venice, but with most of them you must change ferries in Patras or Igoumenitsa to reach Corfu. A local ferry operated by Kerkyra-Igoumenitsa-Paxos Consortium runs between Igoumenitsa and Corfu town several times a day.
The ferries (and cruise ships) dock at the New Port, in the northwest part of Corfu town; from the ferry terminal you can easily walk into town or take a cab to your hotel. You can buy ferry tickets at the ports, or book in advance through the ferry lines or travel agents. For the most up-to-date information on boat schedules (which change regularly and seasonally), call the port authority in the city of departure or check the Greek ferry information Web site.
Ferries from Patras to Corfu town (six to seven hours) generally leave around 11 PM or midnight. The one-way fare from Patras is about EUR 33 per person, EUR 90 per car, and EUR 50 to EUR 80 per person for a cabin. One-way tickets for the ferry between Igoumenitsa and Corfu town (two hours) are about EUR 10 per person and EUR 40 per car.
Hydrofoils operated by Petrakis Lines and Cruises zip between Igoumenitsa to Corfu town (45 minutes) on Sunday, and from Corfu town to Igoumenitsa on Tuesday (EUR 15). Please note that the information in our boat and ferry office listings on the next page lists the ferry office's main headquarters; to buy your tickets locally in Patras, Igoumenitsa, or Corfu, go to a local travel agent in the town or at the port.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night Cruise Royal Caribbean
- Albania, Macedonia & Beyond IExplore
- Greece Experience — $3,125 IExplore
- $899 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise — $899 Royal Caribbean