Epirus and Thessaly Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Epirus and Thessaly
Rock Stars: Even more wondrous than the Meteora's soaring rock pinnacles are the medieval monasteries perched atop them—walk, climb, or drive to these still-inhabited spots where eagles once nested.
Zagorohoria Region: Dotting the dramatic Vikos gorge are 46 traditional villages filled with picturesque Ottoman houses—some of the best hiking countryside in all Greece.
Connect with the gods: Visiting the ancient site of Dodona in Epirus is a must: many mystical ceremonies took place in this ancient sanctuary of Zeus.
Experience Metsovo's Traditions: This mountain village has held on hard to its traditional character—discover its stone houses, customary foods, and winding alleyways (each with its own story).
Haunts of Ali Pasha: Even Lord Byron was drawn to Ioannina to trace the haunted spirit of the legendary pasha who once made Epirus his own personal potentate.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night Cruise Royal Caribbean
- Albania, Macedonia & Beyond IExplore
- Greece Experience — $3,125 IExplore
- $899 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise — $899 Royal Caribbean