- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The famous Meteora monasteries, set just outside Kalambaka, is easily accessible by both train and slightly more expensive bus, but, as most trips, it is by far preferable to take the bus rather than the slow and creaky trains that service the area. Catch KTEL buses at Kalambaka's bus station located on Plateia Dimarchiou (for bus information, contact the station in Trikala at24310/73130). Buses connecting with Trikala take 45 minutes and leave Trikala at 7 am and each hour until 1 pm, then 2:15 until 10:15 hourly; tickets are EUR 1.90. Buses connect with Athens, in a ride lasting 5 hours: take the Kalambaka-Trikala bus, then change to the Trikala-Athens bus; tickets are EUR 25 one-way, EUR 39 round-trip. Buses connect Kalambaka with the major port of Volos, departing Kalambaka at 6:10 am and 2 pm; tickets are EUR 14. The Kalambaka-Ioannina bus (3 hrs) departs at 3:20 pm; tickets are EUR 10.
Trains arrive at the OSE Train Station (24320/22451) located on Pindou Street. A train from Athens to Kalambaka departs at 8:20 am (arriving at 1 pm) for EUR 14.60 in second-class. Trains often connect with Trikala, the major transportation hub of Thessaly; the ride is about 15 minutes and tickets are EUR 1.50. Kalambaka is currently the last stop on this OSE route.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise Royal Caribbean
- Albania, Macedonia & Beyond IExplore
- Greece Experience — $3,125 IExplore
- $699 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise — $699 Royal Caribbean