- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At least seven buses a day connect Athens and Sparta, a trip of about five hours that costs about EUR 18 each way. Buses leave from Stathmos Peloponnisou(Terminal A) station on the outskirts of Athens, located at 100 Kissafou (210/623886; takeBus 51 at corner of Zinonos and Menandrou streets, near Omonia Square; from the airport, take Bus E93).
From Sparta's bus station (27310/26441), located downtown at the junction of Lykourgou and Dafnou, you can catch one of six daily buses to Monemvassia (about two hours, EUR 5) and also continue on to the Mani region (service several times a day to Gythion and Aeropolis) and other places in the southern Peloponnese.
By car, follow the toll highway south from Athens through Corinth and Tripoli. At Tripoli the four-lane toll road ends and the route continues on well-surfaced two- and three-lane roads, though ongoing construction will one day extend the four-lane toll road to Sparta. The trip from Athens takes about four to five hours of reasonable driving.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe