- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Throughout the Peloponnese there are many small trails, or kalderimi (mule paths).
At the other extreme is the famed international E4 European Rambler Trail, which starts in the Pyrénées, winds through Eastern Europe, and traverses Greece to Gythion.
The southern half, from Delphi to Gythion, is considered less difficult than the northern section and can be walked most of the year; the best time is mid-May through early October.
Pick up the southern section at Menalon Refuge and continue through Vresthena, Sparta, Taygettus Refuge, and Panagia Yiatris monastery to Gythion.
or the Hellenic Federation of Mountaineering and Climbing. More information is available from the Hellenic Federation of Mountaineering and Climbing Milioni 5, Athens. 210/364-5904. www.eooa.gr.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe