- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Little Symi is well served by boats, either on one-day excursion trips from Mandraki Harbor in Rhodes town (check with any travel agent like Triton Holidays— www.tritondmc.gr—or one of the shills on the harbor; EUR 32 round-trip) or by commercial boat. These include catamarans that arrive about four times a day (EUR 16, 50 minutes) in high season as well as a daily car ferry (EUR 6 one-way, 50 minutes). All boats arrive in Yialos, Symi's main harbor, and catamarans also make a stop in Panormitis or Pedi, though these remote places are of most interest to day trippers who just want a day at a remote beach.
A sturdy bus makes the hourly trip from Yialos harbor up to Chorio and on to Pedi Bay, EUR 0.70. But once on Symi, you'll learn that the easiest way to get around is by foot, as roads are few and many of those are quite rough. If you are staying in Nimborios or another outlying place, make arrangements in advance for your hotel to pick you up, as taxis refuse to make the trip on unimproved roads.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $899 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise Royal Caribbean