- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The bay of Santorini is one of the world's great sights, and an incoming flight—45 minutes—gives a unique view of it. There are 12 daily flights, shared by Olympic Airlines, Athens Airways, and Aegean Airlines. There are also flights from Thessaloniki. Reservations, the earlier the better, are essential. Check www.aia.gr/flight_schedule/domestic_en.htm.
Six daily boats from Athens's port of Piraeus ply the wine-dark Aegean to Santorini. The trip takes from to 4 to 10 hours, depending on route, boat, and the weather. Try to make sure your boat enters the harbor before sunset, since this is a spectacular sight, one crucial to savoring Santorini's vibe. There are also daily connections to Paros, Naxos, and Anafi, and there are regular summer connections to Folegandros, Crete, Ios, Karpathos, Kasos, Amorgos, Kea, Kimolos, Kos, Koufonisi, Kythnos, Milos, Mykonos, and Rhodes. Reservations are needed in summer and at Easter, for cars all year. The port town, Ormos Athinios, is only that, and you must proceed by vehicle to your destination. Buses generally meet the boats, and the drive up the volcano-cut cliff is amazing. For schedules check www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/map/index_en.vm and for everything else go to www.greeka.com/cyclades/santorini/index.htm.The Santorini Port Authority (22860/22239) sometimes gives detailed information.
Buses leave from the main station in central Fira (Deorgala 22890/25404) just south of the town's main square. In high season, there are hourly buses for Akrotiri and buses on the half-hour for Ia, Monolithos (airport), Kamari, and Perissa. Buses also connect with the main port of Athinios (at least half-hour ride) as well as the popular Perissa and Kamari beaches. Schedules are posted; hotel concierges should also have this info. Fares run from EUR 0.50 to EUR 3. As might be expected, Santorini's buses can be as crowded as those of rush-hour Athens, so step lively! The main taxi station (22860/22555) is near Fira's central square on 25th of March street. Connecting Fira with the harbor port of Fira Skala is the island's famed cable-car route; there are departures every 20 minutes, 7 AM to 10 PM; EUR 4, plus extra charge for luggage. With its spectacular vistas, this is a must-do (a must-don't are the donkey treks up the cliff), even if you're not using the port facilities.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $699 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise — $699 Royal Caribbean
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise — $549 Royal Caribbean