- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Most visitors leave Sifnos's port, Kamares, and travel into its mountains. They find the bay is dramatically cut into cliffs, the beach is good, and the seaside cafés delightful. In summer there are at least three boats a day from Athens's port of Piraeus, and the journey takes 3 to 5½ hours depending on stops, boat speed, and the Aeolian winds. The common route follows the western Cyclades: Serifos-Sifnos-Milos, and may include other islands. The fast boats usually don't run in winter. There are also connections several times a week with Folegandros, Ios, Kimolos, Kythnos, Paros, Sikinos, and Santorini; many of these cease in winter. Schedules on www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/map/index_en.vm are accurate in the short run. The Sifnos Port Authority (22840/33617) gives warnings for delays and storms. For general information check out www.greeka.com/cyclades/sifnos/index.htm and also www.sifnos.gr.
Buses (22840/31210) run regularly all day from Apollonia's clogged central square to the outlying villages and some of the beaches, and this is probably the best way to get around Sifnos. Taxis (22840/33300) start here, too; bikes, quads, and cars are available, but useful only for unusual locations, and if you're heading to some of the beaches, you'll want to access them via small boats from Kamares. Fares run from EUR 0.50 to EUR 2. Taxis (22890/22400 or 22860/41048) meet boats and a stand is at the town entrance.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $699 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise — $699 Royal Caribbean
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise — $549 Royal Caribbean