- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
From Athens, Olympic Airlines usually offers three 50-minute flights daily to Chios (cost around EUR 50-EUR 70 one-way); Aegean Airlines flies daily from Athens to Chios. There are several Olympic Airlines flights a week from Chios to Lesbos, Limnos, Rhodes, and Thessaloniki; and several a week from Lesbos to Chios. Chios Airport (22710/81400) is 4½ km (3 mi) south of Chios town; a taxi-ride runs around EUR 15.
There are one to two ferryboats that leave from Piraeus daily and take 5-10 hours and cost EUR 20-EUR 30. These go on to Lesvos (EUR 13 and a three-hour trip if taken from Chios). Several times a week there is a ferry from Thessaloniki similarly priced as from Piraeus and that similarly takes up to 12 hours. For schedule information, see www.gtp.gr.
Blue and Green Bus System buses leave the town of Chios several times per day for Mesta and Pirgi. The main bus station (22710/23086) is at Vlatarias 13 in central Chios town, to the north of the park by Plateia Plastira. A second bus station, which services the long-distance Green KTEL buses, is found to the south of the park adjacent to the main taxi stand on the central square. Bus fares run EUR 1-EUR 6.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night Cruise Royal Caribbean
- Albania, Macedonia & Beyond IExplore
- Greece Experience — $3,125 IExplore
- $899 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise — $899 Royal Caribbean