The Northern Aegean Islands Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Northern Aegean Islands Restaurant Reviews
Hospitality and fresh, seasonal food with sophisticated tendencies abounds on the Northern Islands.
Fish, seafood, and shellfish are reasonably priced, although lobster (popular lately as a pasta dish) is sometimes pricey. Buttery fresh shrimp and tender octopus are abundant.
Over on Lesbos, sardines—the fleshiest in the Mediterranean, traditionally left in sea salt for a few hours and eaten, with a texture reminiscent of succulent sushi—from Kalloni gulf are famous nationwide, as is the island's sizable ouzo variety.
Apart from classic salads and vegetable dishes like briam (a kind of ratatouille), and oven-baked or stewed Greek-Turkish dishes, meat can also be cooked in ways atypical in other Greek destinations because of the Turkish influence—try the soutzoukakia meatballs spiced with cumin and cayenne, or keskek, a special meat mixed with wheat, served most often at festivals.
Fresh figs, almonds, and raisins are delicious; a Lesbos dessert incorporating one of those native treats is baleze (almond pudding).
Besides being recognized for its mastic products, Chios is known for tangerines.
Thyme-scented honey, yiorti (the local version of keskek), and revithokeftedes (chickpea patties), are Samos's edible claims to fame.
In Chios you'll find a great variety of mastic-flavor sweets as well as savory foods, while in Samos the cuisine is flavored with interesting Turkish influences.
Browse Northern Aegean Islands Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $549 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise Royal Caribbean
- Albania, Macedonia & Beyond IExplore
- Greece Experience — $3,125 IExplore
- $699 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise — $699 Royal Caribbean