Thessaloniki and Central Macedonia Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Thessaloniki and Central Macedonia
Mt. Olympus: Bask in a gods'-eye view from the top of Greece's highest peak, often covered in clouds and lighting as if to prove Zeus still holds sway—ascend skyward thanks to numerous enchanting trails.
Thrilling Thessaloniki: In this great commercial hub, the Armani suits and EUR 5 coffees provide a startling contrast to the ruins of the ancient city walls, Byzantine monuments, and the spirited bartering of the city's bazaar.
Between Heaven and Earth: Mt. Athos, pinpointed with monasteries, is Greece's most solemn precinct; off-limits to women, it is an exclusive bastion as well.
Alexander the Great Sites: The fabled ancient ruler made this region the crossroads of the ancient world—walk in his footsteps in Pella (his birthplace), and Vergina (home to the royal tomb of his father, Phillip II).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Explore Thessaloniki For Less! Book Fr $74+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $86/night less
- May deal: Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki Fr $202+/Nt Expedia
- 4-Star Royal Fr $86+/Nt — $86 Hotels.com
- Thessaloniki Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $169+/Nt — $169 Expedia
- 5-Star Daios Luxury Living Fr $141+/Nt — $141 Save with Hotels.com, $37/night less