- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This complex comprises the reconstructed remains of a Roman settlement dating from the first century AD and the capital of the Roman province of Pannonia. Careful excavations have unearthed a varied selection of artifacts and mosaics, providing a tantalizing inkling of what life was like in the provinces of the Roman Empire. A gymnasium and a central heating system have been unearthed, along with the ruins of two baths and a shrine to Mithras, the Persian god of light, truth, and the sun. The Aquincum múzeum (Aquincum Museum) displays the dig's most notable finds: ceramics; a red-marble sarcophagus showing a triton and flying Eros on one side and on the other, Telesphorus, the angel of death, depicted as a hooded dwarf; and jewelry from a Roman lady's tomb.
Hercules Villa. Near the main Aquincum ruins—but functioning as a separate museum—a fine third-century Roman dwelling, Hercules Villa, takes its name from the myth depicted on its beautiful mosaic floor. The ruin was unearthed between 1958 and 1967 and is now only open by request (inquire at the Aquincum Museum). You can only visit the villa on guided tours, which are available in English, Hungarian, German, and French. District III, Meggyfa utca 19-21. www.aquincum.hu. Tours 6,000 HUF total for 10-25 people; 8,000 HUF total for more than 25 people.
- Address: District III, Szentendrei út 139, Óbuda, Budapest | Map It
- Phone: 1/250-1650
- Cost: Museum: 850 HUF early Nov.--mid April; 1,300 HUF mid April--late Oct.
- Hours: Museum: mid--late Apr. and October, Tues.--Sun. 10--5; May--Sept., Tues.--Sun. 10--6; Nov.--mid-April 10--4. Grounds: open an hour earlier than museum.
- Location: Óbuda
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Budapest on Sale! Flights to Budapest From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Special deal: 4-Star Opera Garden & Apartments Fr $182+/Nt Expedia
- Budapest Savings! Book at Central Basilica Fr $525+/Nt Expedia
- Discover Budapest & More: 7 Nts Aboard Avalon Waterways Fr $2,675 Expedia
- Carat Boutique on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $153+/Nt — $153 Save with Expedia, $15/night less
My husband and I are at the tail end of our 6-week trip, and he has been writing a travel blog. I thought I would post that here, and also the links to the pictures that go with each. Read more
We did a 2 weeks trip to eastern europe over the christmas period 2 years ago. Read more
Was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the Hilton Hotel's in Vienna and/or Budapest? Read more
· News & Features
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more
It happens all the time: you're just stopping in to grab one thing and the next thing you know, you've... Read more