- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Liszt Ferenc Zeneakadémia (Franz Liszt Academy of Music)
Liszt Ferenc Zeneakadémia (Franz Liszt Academy of Music) Review
This magnificent Art Nouveau music academy presides over the cafés and gardens of Liszt Ferenc tér. Along with the Vigadó, it's one of the city's main concert halls, hosting orchestra and chamber music concerts in its splendid main hall. On summer days the sound of daytime rehearsals from inside adds to the sweetness in the air along the pedestrian oasis of café society, just off buzzing Andrássy út.
The academy itself has two auditoriums: a green-and-gold 1,200-seat main hall and a smaller hall for chamber music and solo recitals. Farther along the square is a dramatic statue of Liszt Ferenc (Franz Liszt) himself, hair blown back from his brow, seemingly in a flight of inspiration. Pianist Erno (Ernst) Dohnányi and composers Béla Bartók and Zoltán Kodály were teachers here.
You can purchase tickets to all performances and classical music concerts held at the academy through the ticket office. It's sometimes even possible to grab a standing-room ticket just before a performance.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Budapest on Sale! Flights to Budapest From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Budapest Savings! Book at BEST WESTERN Hungaria Fr $75+/Nt Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Book Now & Save! Budapest Fr $134+/Nt Travelocity
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $4,087 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Amadeus Fr $61+/Nt — $61 Expedia
My husband and I are at the tail end of our 6-week trip, and he has been writing a travel blog. I thought I would post that here, and also the links to the pictures that go with each. Read more
We did a 2 weeks trip to eastern europe over the christmas period 2 years ago. Read more
Just wondering if anyone has any experience in handling money in europe? I'm from the UK and my debit card will incur some pretty heavy fees abroad, so does anyone know of any cards which have Read more
· News & Features
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more