- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Szépmuvészeti Múzeum (Museum of Fine Arts)
Szépmuvészeti Múzeum (Museum of Fine Arts) Review
Across Heroes' Square from the Palace of Exhibitions and built by the same team of Albert Schickedanz and Fülöp Herzog, the Museum of Fine Arts houses Hungary's best art collection, rich in Flemish and Dutch old masters. With seven fine El Grecos and five beautiful Goyas as well as paintings by Velázquez and Murillo, the collection of Spanish Old Masters is probably the best outside Spain.
The Italian school is represented by Giorgione, Bellini, Correggio, Tintoretto, and Titian masterpieces and, above all, two superb Raphael paintings: The Eszterházy Madonna and his immortal Portrait of a Youth, rescued after a world-famous art heist.
Nineteenth-century French art includes works by Delacroix, Pissarro, Cézanne, Toulouse-Lautrec, Gauguin, Renoir, and Monet. There are also more than 100,000 drawings (including five by Rembrandt and three studies by Leonardo), and Egyptian and Greco-Roman exhibitions. A 20th-century collection was added to the museum's permanent exhibits in 1994, comprising an interesting series of statues, paintings, and drawings by Chagall, Le Corbusier, and others. The special exhibits are outstanding and frequent. Labels are in both Hungarian and English; there's also an English-language booklet for sale about the permanent collection.
- Address: District XIV, Hosök tere, Around Andrássy út, Budapest
- Phone: 1/469-7100; 1/363-4654
- Cost: Museum: 1,600. Museum and special exhibitions: 2,200--3,400 HUF
- Hours: Tues.--Wed. and Fri.--Sun. 10--5, Thurs.10--10
- Website: www.szepmuveszeti.hu
- Metro M1: Hosök tere.
- Location: Around Andrássy út
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Budapest on Sale! Flights to Budapest From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Small budget: Book Corvin 3 Nts in May Fr $59+/Nt Save with Expedia, $25/night less
- May deal: NH Budapest Fr $121+/Nt Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Cruise deals to Budapest with Avalon Waterways, 7 Nts Fr $2,975 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Danubius Gellert Fr $187+/Nt — $187 Save with Expedia, $19/night less
My husband and I are at the tail end of our 6-week trip, and he has been writing a travel blog. I thought I would post that here, and also the links to the pictures that go with each. Read more
We did a 2 weeks trip to eastern europe over the christmas period 2 years ago. Read more
Traveling to Europe at the end of the month for 10 days, planing to spend 5 days in London and then we where thinking Budepest or Brussels. Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more