- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Szépmuvészeti Múzeum (Museum of Fine Arts)
Szépmuvészeti Múzeum (Museum of Fine Arts) Review
Across Heroes' Square from the Palace of Exhibitions and built by the same team of Albert Schickedanz and Fülöp Herzog, the Museum of Fine Arts houses Hungary's best art collection, rich in Flemish and Dutch old masters. With seven fine El Grecos and five beautiful Goyas as well as paintings by Velázquez and Murillo, the collection of Spanish Old Masters is probably the best outside Spain.
The Italian school is represented by Giorgione, Bellini, Correggio, Tintoretto, and Titian masterpieces and, above all, two superb Raphael paintings: The Eszterházy Madonna and his immortal Portrait of a Youth, rescued after a world-famous art heist.
Nineteenth-century French art includes works by Delacroix, Pissarro, Cézanne, Toulouse-Lautrec, Gauguin, Renoir, and Monet. There are also more than 100,000 drawings (including five by Rembrandt and three studies by Leonardo), and Egyptian and Greco-Roman exhibitions. A 20th-century collection was added to the museum's permanent exhibits in 1994, comprising an interesting series of statues, paintings, and drawings by Chagall, Le Corbusier, and others. The special exhibits are outstanding and frequent. Labels are in both Hungarian and English; there's also an English-language booklet for sale about the permanent collection.
- Address: District XIV, Hosök tere, Around Andrássy út, Budapest
- Phone: 1/469-7100; 1/363-4654
- Cost: Museum: 1,600. Museum and special exhibitions: 2,200--3,400 HUF
- Hours: Tues.--Wed. and Fri.--Sun. 10--5, Thurs.10--10
- Website: www.szepmuveszeti.hu
- Metro M1: Hosök tere.
- Location: Around Andrássy út
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Budapest on Sale! Flights to Budapest From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Special deal: 4-Star Mercure Budapest Metropol Fr $80+/Nt Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Budapest Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Atlas City Fr $63+/Nt Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- Hot Deal on a 6 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $2,607 Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Budapest this May Fr $64+/Nt — $64 Expedia
My husband and I are at the tail end of our 6-week trip, and he has been writing a travel blog. I thought I would post that here, and also the links to the pictures that go with each. Read more
We did a 2 weeks trip to eastern europe over the christmas period 2 years ago. Read more
I will be traveling along the coast of the Black Sea with a friend until June 30th where we'll end in Istanbul. The following 11 days I'll be on my own until starting a residency program in Budapes Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more