- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Crime rates are still relatively low in Budapest and the rest of Hungary, but travelers should beware of pickpockets in crowded areas, especially on public transportation, at railway stations, in western fast-food chains like McDonald's and Burger King, and in big hotels. In general, always keep your valuables with you—in open bars and restaurants, purses hung on or placed next to chairs are easy targets.
Note that Hungarian police will NEVER ask you for money, neither as a fine nor to "inspect" or count your currency; if they do, refuse and seek help—they may be con artists impersonating officers.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Budapest on Sale! Flights to Budapest From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- May deal: BEST WESTERN Hungaria Fr $75+/Nt Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Visit Budapest for Less: Hotels Fr $133+/Nt Travelocity
- Visit Budapest with Avalon Waterways! 11 Nts Fr $4,087 Expedia
- Budapest Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $219+/Nt — $219 Expedia