Value-Added Tax (V.A.T.)
A 24.5% virðisaukaskattur (value-added tax, or V.A.T.), commonly called VSK, applies to most goods and services. Usually the V.A.T. is included in a price; if not, that fact must be stated explicitly. Foreign visitors can claim a partial refund on the V.A.T., which accounts for 19.68% of the purchase price of most goods and services. Fifteen percent of the purchase price for goods is refunded, provided you buy a minimum of IKr 4,000 at one time. Souvenir stores issue tax-free forms that allow foreign visitors to collect the V.A.T. rebates directly in the duty-free store when departing from Keflavík Airport. To qualify, keep your purchases in tax-free packages (except woolens), and show them to customs officers at the departure gate along with a passport and the tax-free form.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Iceland Viking Challenge Family IExplore
- Lands of the Midnight Sun IExplore
- Iceland Hiking Adventure — $1,395 IExplore
- Iceland: Viking Challenge — $2,099 IExplore
- Lands of the Midnight Sun — $10,790 IExplore