- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
With roughly 1,100 residents, Clifden would be called a village by most, but in these parts it's looked on as something of a metropolis. It's far and away the prettiest town in Connemara, as well as its unrivaled "capital." Clifden's first attraction is its location—perched high above Clifden Bay on a forested plateau, its back to the spectacular Twelve Ben Mountains. The tapering spires of the town's two churches add to its alpine look.
Clifden is a popular base thanks to its selection of small restaurants, lively bars with music most summer nights, pleasant accommodations, and excellent walks. It's quiet out of season, but in July and August crowds flock here, especially for August's world-famous Connemara Pony Show. Year-round, unfortunately, Clifden's popularity necessitates a chaotic one-way traffic system and on summer Sunday afternoons loud techno music blasts out of certain bars. So if you're looking for a sleepy country town that time forgot, push on to Westport.
Clifden at a Glance
Elsewhere in Connemara and County Mayo
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air Sceptre Tours
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- Ireland and the British Isles IExplore
- $1165 -- Irish Cities & Scenery Tour: 7-Nts. w/Guide — $1,165 Sceptre Tours
- $1428 & up -- Castles & Abbey: 6-Nt. Ireland Trip w/Air — $1,428 Sceptre Tours