- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Inis Meáin (Inishmaan)
The middle island in both size and location, Inis Meáin has a population of about 300 and can be comfortably explored on foot.
In fact, you have no alternative if you want to reach the island's major antiquities: Dún Conor (Conor Fort), a smaller version of Dún Aengus; the ruins of two early Christian churches; and a chamber tomb known as the Bed of Diarmuid and Grainne, dating from about 2000 BC. You can also take wonderful cliff walks above secluded coves.
It's on Inishmaan that the traditional Aran lifestyle is most evident. Most islanders still don hand-knitted Aran sweaters, though nowadays they wear them with jeans and sneakers.
Inis Meáin (Inishmaan) at a Glance
Elsewhere in County Clare, Galway, and the Aran Islands
- Bunratty Castle
- The Burren
- The Cliffs of Moher
- Coole Park
- Craggaunowen Project
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Clybaun on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $142+/Nt Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Galway Fr $116+/Nt Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- Book in Galway: Save at the Harbour Galway in May Fr $213+/Nt — $213 Expedia
- Book 3-Star Eyre Square Fr $154+/Nt — $154 Expedia
- Stay Longer and Save!: Corrib Village in May — $48 Save with Expedia, $10/night less