- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ballinalacken Castle Hotel
At a Glance
- fabulous location
- warm old-fashioned welcome from the O'Callaghan family
- not in fact a "castle."
Ballinalacken Castle Hotel Review
One hundred acres of wildflower meadows surround this restored, low-slung Victorian lodge—built alongside the 16th-century ruins of an O'Brien castle (hence its somewhat bogus name)—making this one of the most memorably sited of Ireland's coastal inns, with panoramic views of the Atlantic, the Aran Islands, and distant Connemara. The sense of spaciousness is exhilarating, and manager Declan O'Callaghan reports that many guests regularly oversleep due to the quietness. The public rooms display a mix of comfy old armchairs and antique, baronial-style Irish oak, amid floral wallpaper and rampant pots of aspidistra. Guest rooms in the older house have massive four-poster beds, marble fireplaces, and high ceilings. Some large, sunny rooms have bay windows to frame that stunning view; nice but plainer rooms in the new wing, with antique-style decor, are equally sought after. The restaurant has an imaginative and sophisticated Continental menu ($$$$) where you can sometimes snag its roast loin of Burren lamb, but only with a reservation.
- Address: Coast Rd., about 1 km (½ mi) outside Doolin on the Lisdoonvarna Rd., Doolin, Co. Clare | Map It
- Phone: 065/707-4025
- Website: www.ballinalackencastle.com
- Location: Doolin
- 10 rooms, 2 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Nov.--mid-Apr.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Galway Fr $303+/Nt Expedia
- Galway Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $167+/Nt Expedia
- Save in Galway: Book 3 Nts in May at Corrib Village Fr $49+/Nt — $49 Save with Expedia, $10/night less
- Special deal: 4-Star Menlo Park Fr $192+/Nt — $192 Expedia
- Galway Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Clayton Fr $130+/Nt — $130 Save with Expedia, $13/night less
I apologize to those of you that are annoyed by a duplicate post, but it was a good suggestion to add the line breaks. Read more
Just back from two weeks in Ireland. Read more
We will be on a cruise docking in Dunsmore East/Waterford on a Friday in June. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more