- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Culloden Estate & Spa
At a Glance
- building oozes character and personality
- top-class service
- suites are just big rooms and don't measure up
- the restaurant can be stuffy
- massages, manicures, and vintage champagne don't come cheap
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Culloden Estate & Spa Review
This imposingly grand vision in Belfast stone presides over the forested slopes of the Holywood hills and the busy waters of Belfast Lough—antiques and silk-and-velvet fabrics grace guest rooms both in the original section and in a newer wing; all rooms have fine views. Topped off with a storybook turret and crenellated tower, the Scottish Baronial mansion, built in 1876, was greatly enlarged in the early 20th century when it was given as a residence to the Bishops of Down. In the 1960s it was transformed into a hotel. At mealtimes choose from the posh Mitre restaurant and the Cultra Inn, which serves snacks and full meals, or you can have lunches and afternoon tea in the elegant Crozier Lounge, redesigned in 2013 with a glass-fronted conservatory. The 19 executive rooms are fitted out with burgundy, gold, and purple bedding. The hotel is close to both the village of Holywood (temptingly filled with boutiques and tearooms) and the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. Or spend the afternoon at the hotel spa, a glamorous Beverly Hills-type affair.
- Address: 142 Bangor Rd., 8 km (5 miles)east of Belfast on A2, Holywood, Co. Down, BT18 0EX | Map It
- Phone: 028/9042-1066
- Website: www.hastingshotels.com/culloden-estate-and-spa
- Location: Belfast
- 105 rooms, 22 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast, some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
I apologize to those of you that are annoyed by a duplicate post, but it was a good suggestion to add the line breaks. Read more
Just back from two weeks in Ireland. Read more
Hi there i just would like to know i have italian travel decument do need get visa to fly to dublin thanx Read more