- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Adrenalin junkies love the rope bridge—off the coast at Ballintoy in Larrybane—which spans a 60-foot gap between the mainland and tiny Carrick-a-Rede Island. The island's name means "rock in the road" and refers to how it stands in the path of the salmon that follow the coast as they migrate to their home rivers to spawn. The bridge is open to the public daily, weather permitting. More than 265,000 visitors cross it (or at least take a look at it) each year, looking down on heart-stopping views of the crashing waves 100 feet below. For an exhilarating cliff-top experience, the rope bridge walk is hard to beat. In 2012 the island's small two-roomed Fishermen's Cottage, where they mended nets and kept materials, was restored and opened to the public. The whole area is designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest because of its unique geology, flowers, and fauna.
Hour-long guided tours take in the bridge and cottage and have priority—best to book in advance.
- Address: 119a White Park Rd., (8 km west of Ballycastle on B15), Ballintoy, BT54 6LS
- Phone: 028/2076-9839
- Cost: £5.60 to bridge; £7 for guided tour of Fishermen's Cottage
- Hours: Nov.--Jan., daily 10:30--3:30; Feb.--May, Sept., and Oct., daily 10--6; June--Aug., daily 10--7; last entry 45 mins before closing
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Ballycastle
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
I apologize to those of you that are annoyed by a duplicate post, but it was a good suggestion to add the line breaks. Read more
Just back from two weeks in Ireland. Read more
Hi there i just would like to know i have italian travel decument do need get visa to fly to dublin thanx Read more