The Midlands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to the Midlands
Stately Clonmacnoise: Atmospheric and still spirit-warm, this great early Christian monastery survived Viking, Norman, and English invaders over the centuries.
Green Mansions: While known for its rich farmlands, the Midlands is also home to stately homes and gardens, including fairy-tale Tullynally Castle and Birr Castle.
Hiking the Slieve Bloom Mountains: Dip in and out of the 20-mile Slieve Bloom Trail, ideal hiking country for those with a yen to rise above their surroundings.
Athlone: The restored 13th-century castle along with the quirky shops and Europe's oldest pub are worth taking time to visit.
The Treasure House of Emo: A quintessential landmark of 18th-century Palladian elegance, Emo—the former home of the Earl of Portarlington—has a spectacular rotunda inspired by Rome's Pantheon.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1336 & up -- Ireland: 6-Nt. Ritz-Carlton Escape w/Air Sceptre Tours
- $1999 -- British Isles: 7-Night Windstar Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $1165 -- Irish Cities & Scenery Tour: 7-Nts. w/Guide — $1,165 Sceptre Tours
- $1428 & up -- Castles & Abbey: 6-Nt. Ireland Trip w/Air — $1,428 Sceptre Tours
- $1351 & up -- Irish Escape: 7-Nt. Multi-City Vacation w/Air — $1,351 Great Value Vacations