- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The South Pole Inn
The South Pole Inn Review
This fascinating landmark was built by local hero Tom Crean (1877-1938). Crean enlisted in the English navy at the age of 15, and served on three expeditions to Antarctica—the Discovery (1901-04) and the Terra Nova (1910-13), both under the command of Captain Robert Falcon Scott, and the Endurance (1914-16), where he was second officer to Ernest Shackleton. Crean himself failed to reach the South Pole on any of these expeditions, and named his pub so that in his retirement he could go to work at the South Pole every day.
Memorabilia at the pub fill in the details of Crean's Antarctic adventures. Crean was famed for his amazing strength and resilience. He walked 56 km (35 miles) through an Antarctic blizzard to bring help to his colleagues, with only two bars of chocolate and three biscuits for sustenance. For this he received the Albert Medal for Bravery. On another occasion he survived a 15-day journey across 1,280 km (800 miles) of ocean in an open boat.
The pub is the headquarters of the Tom Crean Society, which hosts occasional lectures and festivals and has been addressed by Sir Edmund Hillary and the grandsons of both Scott and Shackleton.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cork Savings! Book at Belvedere Lodge Fr $84+/Nt Save with Expedia, $11/night less
- 3-Star Jurys Inn Cork Fr $106+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $18/night less
- Cork Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $137+/Nt — $137 Expedia
- $97 & Up: Cheap Cork Stay — $97 Save with Hotels.com, $12/night less
- $125 & Up: The Gresham Metropole Cork 3-Star Hotel in Cork — $125 Expedia
I apologize to those of you that are annoyed by a duplicate post, but it was a good suggestion to add the line breaks. Read more
Just back from two weeks in Ireland. Read more
Hi there i just would like to know i have italian travel decument do need get visa to fly to dublin thanx Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more