- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Parma stands on the banks of a tributary of the Po River. Despite damage during World War II, much of the stately historic center seems untouched by modern times. Parma is a prosperous town, and it shows in its well-dressed residents, clean streets, and immaculate piazzas.
Bursting with gustatory delights, Parma draws crowds for its sublime cured ham, prosciutto crudo di Parma (known locally simply as "prosciutto crudo"). The pale-yellow Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese produced here and in nearby Reggio Emilia is the original—and best—of a class known around the world as Parmesan.
Almost every major European power has had a hand in ruling Parma at one time or another. The Romans founded the city—then little more than a garrison on the Via Emilia—after which a succession of feudal lords held sway. In the 16th century came the ever-conniving Farnese family, which died out in 1731 upon the death of Antonio Farnese. It then went to the Spanish, and fell into French hands in 1796. In 1805 Marie-Louise (better known to the parmigiani as Maria Luigia), the wife of Napoléon, took command of the city. She was a much-beloved figure in her adopted town until her death in 1847.
Parma at a Glance
- Battistero (Baptistery)
- Camera di San Paolo
- Musei del Cibo (Food Museums)
- Museo del Parmigiano Reggiano
- Museo del Prosciutto di Parma
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 4-Star Cosmopolitan Bologna Fr $104+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Bologna: Save at the BEST WESTERN City in May Fr $76+/Nt Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- Bologna Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $102+/Nt — $102 Expedia
- Bologna Savings! Book at Grand Majestic Gia Baglioni Fr $362+/Nt — $362 Expedia
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Quality Michelino Bologna Fiera Fr $59+/Nt — $59 Save with Expedia, $6/night less