- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Anywhere in Emilia-Romagna, the story goes, a weary, lost traveler will be invited into a family's home and offered a drink. But the Romagnesi claim that he'll be served water in Emilia and wine in Romagna. The hilly, mostly rural, and largely undiscovered Romagna region has crumbling farmhouses dotting rolling hills, smoking chimneys, early Christian churches, and rowdy local bars dishing out rounds and rounds of piadine (a pita-thin bread filled with meat, cheese, vegetables, or any combination thereof, and then quickly grilled). Ravenna, the site of shimmering Byzantine mosaics, dominates the region.
Heading southeast from Bologna, Via Emilia (SS9) and the parallel A14 autostrada lead to the towns of Dozza and Faenza. From here, go north to the Adriatic Coast on the SS71 to reach Ravenna. Alternatively, the slower SS16 cuts a northwest-southeast swath through Romagna.
Romagna at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 4-Star Cosmopolitan Bologna Fr $104+/Nt Expedia
- Bologna Savings! Book at My One Bologna Fr $102+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Book BEST WESTERN City 3 Nts in May Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- May deal: Grand Majestic Gia Baglioni Fr $362+/Nt — $362 Expedia
- Bologna Savings! Book at Sav Fr $96+/Nt — $96 Expedia