Getting Here by Air
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Getting Here by Air
Aeroporto A. Vespucci. Florence's small Aeroporto A. Vespucci, commonly called Peretola, is just outside of town, and receives flights from Milan, Rome, London, and Paris. 10 km [6 mi] northwest of Florence, Florence, 50127. 055/30615. www.aeroporto.firenze.it.
To get into the city center from the airport by car, take the autostrada A11. A Sita bus will take you directly from the airport to the center of town. Tickets may be purchased on the bus.
Aeroporto Galileo Galilei. Pisa's Aeroporto Galileo Galilei is the closest landing point with significant international service, including a few direct flights from New York each week on Delta. Sadly, the flight is seasonal and shuts down when it's cold outside. It's a straight shot down the SS67 to Florence. A train service connects Pisa's airport station with Santa Maria Novella, roughly a 1 hour trip. Sometimes are non-stop to Florence; other times, you must change at Pisa Centrale. Trains start running about 7 am from the airport, 4:30 am from Florence, and continue service every hour until about 1 am from the airport, 10 pm from Florence. 12 km [7 mi] south of Pisa and 80 km west of Florence, Florence, 56121. 050/849300. www.pisa-airport.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes go-today
- $1799 -- 7-Nt. Luxe French & Italian Riviera Cruise, 70% Off Windstar Cruises
- $599 & up -- 7-Night Roundtrip Spain Cruise in Spring — $599 Royal Caribbean
- $599 & up -- Weeklong Italy & France Cruise in Summer — $599 Royal Caribbean
- $649 & up -- 7-Night Cruise thru Mediterranean in Summer — $649 Royal Caribbean