- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
If you're driving from Milan to Lake Garda, the perfect deviation from your autostrada journey is the lovely medieval town of Bergamo. Bergamo is also a wonderful side trip by train from Milan. In less than an hour, you will be whisked from the restless pace of city life to the medieval grandeur of Bergamo Alta, where the pace is a tranquil remnant of the past.
From behind a set of battered Venetian walls high on an Alpine hilltop, Bergamo majestically surveys the countryside. Behind are the snowcapped Bergamese Alps, and two funiculars connect the modern Bergamo Bassa (Lower Bergamo) to the ancient Bergamo Alta (Upper Bergamo). Bergamo Bassa's long arteries and ornate piazze speak to its centuries of prosperity, but it's nonetheless overshadowed by Bergamo Alta's magnificence.
Bergamo at a Glance
Elsewhere in Milan, Lombardy, and the Lakes
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Sale! Flights to Milan From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- May deal: Holiday Inn Milan - Garibaldi Station Fr $248+/Nt Expedia
- Milan Savings! Book at Residence Biancacroce Fr $105+/Nt Save with Expedia, $10/night less
- Milan 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1479 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Milan at The Gray Fr $429+/Nt — $429 Save with Expedia, $69/night less