- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Villa Carlotta Review
If you're lucky enough to visit the small lakeside town of Tremezzo in late spring or early summer, you will find the magnificent Villa Carlotta a riot of color, with more than 14 acres of azaleas and dozens of varieties of rhododendrons in full bloom. The height of the blossoms is late April to early May. The villa was built between 1690 and 1743 for the luxury-loving marquis Giorgio Clerici. The garden's collection is remarkable, particularly considering the difficulties of transporting delicate plants before the age of aircraft. Palms, banana trees, cacti, eucalyptus, a sequoia, orchids, and camellias are counted among the more than 500 species.
According to local lore, one reason for the Villa Carlotta's magnificence was a competition between the marquis's son-in-law, who inherited the estate, and the son-in-law's archrival, who built his summer palace directly across the lake (Villa Melzi, in Bellagio). Whenever either added to his villa and garden, it was tantamount to taunting the other in public. Eventually the son-in-law's insatiable taste for self-aggrandizement prevailed. The villa's last (and final) owners were Prussian royalty (including the "Carlotta" of the villa's name); the property was confiscated during World War I.
The villa's interior is worth a visit, particularly if you have a taste for the romantic sculptures of Antonio Canova (1757-1822). The best known is his Cupid and Psyche, which depicts the lovers locked in an odd but graceful embrace, with the young god above and behind, his wings extended, while Psyche awaits a kiss that will never come. The villa can be reached by boats from Bellagio and Como.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Sale! Flights to Milan From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Special deal: 3-Star Flora Fr $130+/Nt Expedia
- Book the Nhow Milano 3 Nts in May Fr $159+/Nt Save with Expedia, $32/night less
- 4-Star Milan Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1445 Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Milan this May Fr $262+/Nt — $262 Save with Expedia, $31/night less
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
Hi Fodorites! Read more
I'm staying over in Wales with family right now and would love to take in between a week and a half or three weeks to see some of Europe!
I really want to do Paris, Nice and any other recommended cities Read more
· News & Features
Milan is a fierce and unique alternative to Italy's well-worn destinations.... Read more
Feeling a little down on your luck?... Read more
Few countries can offer what Italy can in the way of local culinary specialties, art, and architecture,... Read more