Piedmont and Valle d'Aosta Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Skiing in Piedmont and Valle d'Aosta
Skiing is the major sport in both Piedmont and Valle d'Aosta. Excellent facilities abound at resort towns such as Courmayeur and Breuil-Cervinia. The so-called Via Lattea (Milky Way)—five skiing areas near Sestriere with 400 km (almost 250 mi) of linked runs and 90 ski lifts—provides practically unlimited skiing. Lift tickets, running around €35 for a day's pass, are significantly less expensive than at major U.S. resorts.
To Italian skiers, a weeklong holiday on the slopes is known as a settimana bianca (white week). Ski resort hotels in Piedmont and Valle d'Aosta encourage these getaways by offering six- and seven-day packages, and though they're designed with the domestic market in mind, you can get a bargain by taking advantage of the offers. The packages usually, though not always, include half or full board.
You should have your passport with you if you plan a day trip into France or Switzerland—though odds are you won't be asked to show it.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- BEST WESTERN Luxor on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $158+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Turin: Save at the Plaza Torino in May Fr $119+/Nt Expedia
- Book BEST WESTERN Piemontese in May: Early Booking Bonus — $104 Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Save at 4-Star Town House 70 Suite: $258 & Up in May — $258 Expedia
- Book 4-Star Idea Torino Moncalieri Fr $87+/Nt — $87 Expedia