- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
The City of Eternal Festivals
The City of Eternal Festivals, Rome has gone from "provincial" to "provocative" thanks in large part to its bevy of internationally recognized festivals. In the fall and spring especially, you'll see the best of local and international talent in some of the most beautiful venues in the city.
Art and Design
RomaContemporary. An annual contemporary art fair where Rome- and Italy-based gallerists and their international colleagues showcase artists, RomaContemporary was created to put Rome on the fair circuit with Basel, Miami, and London. The three-day event is held in late spring, usually May, at MACRO Testaccio (contemporary art center). www.romacontemporary.it.
RomaEuropa. For three to six weeks in early fall, RomaEuropa is a collective and multivenue avant-garde performing and visual arts program showcasing international artists, installations, film, and performance. www.romaeuropa.net.
Da Venezia a Roma Festival. Immediately following the finale of the Venice Film Festival in September, Da Venezia a Roma brings the award-nominated films to Rome for a two-week review. Widely distributed films and art house specials like Melancholia make fleeting screen appearances months before international release in Italy. Films are shown in original language with Italian subtitles when necessary. The festival has grown to include lectures and appearances by directors, producers and actors. Check out the local press or the website for more details. www.agisanec.lazio.it/venezia.html.
Festival Internazionale del Film di Roma. In October, cinephiles head to Rome for the International Festival of Film, designed to compete with Venice, London, Cannes, and New York. Two dedicated weeks see award-winning and art house films, blockbuster and experimental movies, shorts, celebrity sightings, technical lectures, and awards for best films and silver-screen icons both past and present. www.romacinemafest.org.
In spring and in some summer months, Rome stages fill with internationally recognized musicians of all genres.
Estate Romana. The city-sponsored Estate Romana (Roman Summer) is one of Rome's most anticipated summer series. Starting out as a bunch of low-budget concerts during June and July, Estate Romana now extends through September and draws an audience from all over the peninsula to see music acts and cultural events from around the world. Many events are free and take place outdoors, in and around the city. Events include cinema, art programs, theater, book fairs, and guided tours of some of Rome's monuments by night. www.estateromana.comune.roma.it.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2324 & up -- Italy by Rail: 8-Nt. Multi-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & Air — $2,108 Sceptre Tours
- $399 & up -- Fall 7-Night Mediterranean Cruises — $399 MSC Cruises
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes — $1,399 go-today