- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
What could epitomize a Roman evening more than a moonlight serenade? Following the outdoor exodus of the city's pubs, restaurants, and discos, opera heads outside for its summer season. Rome's many opera companies commandeer church courtyards, ancient villas, and soccer campi (fields) with performances that range from mom-and-poperas to full-scale, large-budget extravaganzas. Quality is generally quite high, even for smaller, low-budget productions. Tickets cost EUR 15 to EUR 40. To find these productions, listen closely or look for the old-fashioned posters advertising classic operas like Tosca and La Traviata. The weekly roma c'e, the monthly Wanted in Rome, and the Web site www.inromenow.com also have complete lists of performances.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2324 & up -- Italy by Rail: 8-Nt. Multi-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & Air — $2,108 Sceptre Tours
- $399 & up -- Fall 7-Night Mediterranean Cruises — $399 MSC Cruises
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes — $1,399 go-today