- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Famous Italian film director Federico Fellini's La Dolce Vita focuses on the nightclubs and paparazzi of the city's Hollywood-on-the-Tiber era. The 1960s that Fellini put on film is long gone, but Rome's film industry is experiencing a renaissance.
Home to Cinecittà—one of the world's largest film studios in one of the most delightful climates—Rome is often the choice location for international film productions, such as Wes Anderson's Life Aquatic, JJ Abrams' Mission Impossible III, Steven Soderbergh's Ocean's Twelve, and Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York, not to mention the HBO/BBC Production's series Rome. What's more, the presence of so many actors in the city has also reinvigorated the city's theater productions.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2324 & up -- Italy by Rail: 8-Nt. Multi-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & Air — $2,108 Sceptre Tours
- $399 & up -- Fall 7-Night Mediterranean Cruises — $399 MSC Cruises
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes — $1,399 go-today