- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
La Gensola Review
For Italian "mainlanders," going out for Sicilian fare is like international dining: it's a culinary adventure involving out-of-the-ordinary tastes and flavor combinations, many thanks to the island's interesting mix of Arab, African, and Mediterranean influences. La Gensola, tucked away on a back street on the "quiet side" of Viale Trastevere, offers a respite from the Roman standards, and a welcome alternative it is. Start with antipasto, perhaps the fresh tuna "meatballs" or gratineéd scallops with squid ink. Pastas, like a homemade tagliatelle with sun-dried tomatoes, baby calamari, and spicy peperoncino, are zippy on the palate. Since Sicily is a Mediterranean island, its cuisine leans heavily on the bounty of the sea, so a fresh fish like turbot with tomatoes, red onion, and capers is a wonderful choice. Allow the knowledgeable servers to guide you through the selective wine list featuring some lesser-known southern Italian labels. And for dessert, don't pass up an opportunity to try a cannoli or a piece of cassata cake. Mmm, buono!
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2324 & up -- Italy by Rail: 8-Nt. Multi-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & Air — $2,108 Sceptre Tours
- $399 & up -- Fall 7-Night Mediterranean Cruises — $399 MSC Cruises
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes — $1,399 go-today
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
Hi Fodorites! Read more
I'm staying over in Wales with family right now and would love to take in between a week and a half or three weeks to see some of Europe!
I really want to do Paris, Nice and any other recommended cities Read more
· News & Features
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha ... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more
Apparently 2013 is the year of major airline uniform upgrades.... Read more