Don't Miss the Metro
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Don't Miss the Metro
Fortunately for tourists, many of Rome's main attractions are concentrated in the centro storico (historic center) and can be covered on foot. But not to worry, wherever your feet won't take you, the Metro most probably will. Some sights nearer the border of this quarter can be reached via the Metro Line A, nicknamed the linea turistica (tourist line), and include: the Spanish Steps (Spagna stop), the Trevi Fountain (Barberini stop), St. Peter's Square (Ottaviano-San Pietro Musei Vaticani stop), and the Vatican Museums (Cipro stop), to name a few.
Tickets for the bus and metro can be purchased for EUR 1 at any tabacchi (tobacco shop) and at most newsstands. These tickets are good for 75 minutes on buses and trams, or a single metro ride. Day passes can be purchased for EUR 4, and weekly passes, which allow unlimited use of buses, trams, and the metro, for EUR 16. For a better explanation of the metro routes, pick up a free map from one of the information booths around the city: Tech-savvy tourists can navigate around Rome by accessing the Web site of the ATAC (Rome's public transportation system) www.atac.roma.it.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2324 & up -- Italy by Rail: 8-Nt. Multi-City Trip w/Air Great Value Vacations
- $2149 -- 7-Night All-Inclusive European Cruise in Suite MSC Cruises
- $2108 & up -- Italy: 6-Nt. 3-City Escape w/Breakfast & Air — $2,108 Sceptre Tours
- $399 & up -- Fall 7-Night Mediterranean Cruises — $399 MSC Cruises
- $1399 & up -- Taste of Italy: 6-Night Escape w/Air & Taxes — $1,399 go-today