- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Acireale sits amid a clutter of rocky pinnacles and lush lemon groves. The craggy coast is known as the Riviera dei Ciclopi, after the legend narrated in the Odyssey in which the blinded Cyclops Polyphemus hurled boulders at the retreating Ulysses, thus creating spires of rock, or faraglioni (pillars of rock rising dramatically out of the sea). Tourism has barely taken off here, so it's a good destination if you feel the need to put some distance between yourself and the busloads of tourists in Taormina. And though the beaches are rocky, there's good swimming here, too.
The Carnival celebrations, held the two weeks before Lent, are considered the best in Sicily. The streets are jammed with thousands of revelers. Acireale is an easy day trip from Catania.
Acireale at a Glance
Elsewhere in Sicily
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Mercure Palermo Centro in May: $98 & Up Expedia
- Starting Fr $94: Great Palermo Price Save with Hotels.com, $24/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $549 Expedia
- Book in Palermo: Save this May Fr $253+/Nt — $253 Save with Expedia, $125/night less
- See Europe & More: 7 Nts Aboard MSC Cruises Fr $849 — $849 Expedia