- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
The chief wonder of Catania, Sicily's second city, is that it's there at all. Its successive populations were deported by one Greek tyrant, sold into slavery by another, and driven out by the Carthaginians. Every time the city got back on its feet it was struck by a new calamity: plague decimated the population in the Middle Ages, a mile-wide stream of lava from Mount Etna swallowed part of the city in 1669, and 25 years later a disastrous earthquake forced the Catanese to begin again.
Today Catania is completing yet another resurrection—this time from crime, filth, and urban decay. Although the city remains loud and full of traffic, signs of gentrification are everywhere. The elimination of vehicles from the Piazza del Duomo and the main artery of Via Etnea, and the scrubbing of many of the historic buildings has added to Catania's newfound charm. Home to what is arguably Sicily's best university, Catania is full of exuberant youth, and it shows in the chic osterie (taverns) that serve wine, designer bistros, and trendy ethnic boutiques that have popped up all over town. Even more impressive is the vibrant cultural life.
Catania at a Glance
Elsewhere in Sicily
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Mercure Palermo Centro in May: $98 & Up Expedia
- Explore Palermo For Less! Book Fr $99+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $12/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $549 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Palermo Fr $278+/Nt — $278 Save with Expedia, $213/night less
- 7 Nt Cruise! See Europe with MSC Cruises Fr $499 — $499 Expedia