- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
A walk on Siracusa's Ortygia Island: Classical ruins rub elbows with faded seaside palaces and fish markets in Sicily's most beautiful port city, whose Duomo is literally built on the columns of an ancient Greek temple.
The palaces, churches, and crypts of Palermo: Virtually every great European empire ruled Sicily's strategically positioned capital at some point, and it shows most of all in the diverse architecture, from Roman to Byzantine to Arab-Norman.
The Valley of the Temples, Agrigento: This stunning set of ruins is proudly perched above the sea in a grove full of almond trees; not even in Athens will you find Greek temples this finely preserved.
Taormina's Teatro Greco: Watch a Greek tragedy in the very amphitheater where it was performed two millennia ago—in the shadow of smoking Mount Etna.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3-Star Club Solunto Mare Fr $129+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- Book in Palermo: Save at the Splendid La Torre in May Fr $253+/Nt Save with Expedia, $125/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $549 Expedia
- 4-Star Plaza Opera Fr $100+/Nt — $100 Save with Hotels.com, $18/night less
- Cruise Through Europe with MSC Cruises Fr $499 — $499 Expedia