- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Italian Phrases
With almost 600 km (370 mi) of accessible downhill slopes and more than 90 km (56 mi) of cross-country skiing trails, Ortisei is one of the most popular ski resorts in the Dolomites. Prices are good, and facilities are among the most modern in the region. In warmer weather, the slopes surrounding Ortisei are a popular hiking destination, as well as a playground for vehicular mountain adventures: biking, rafting, even paragliding.
Sella Ronda. An immensely popular ski route, the Sella Ronda relies on well-placed chairlifts to connect 26 km (16 mi) of downhill skiing around the colossal Sella massif, passing through several towns along the way. You can ski the loop, which requires intermediate ability and a full day's effort, either clockwise or counterclockwise. Going with a guide is recommended. Ortisei. www.sella-ronda.info.
Val Gardena Tourism Office. The Val Gardena tourism office can provide detailed information about sport-equipment rental outfits and guided-tour operators. Via Dursan 81, Santa Cristina, 39047. 0471/777777. www.valgardena.it.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Bolzano Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Greif Fr $220+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Book Park Laurin 3 Nts in May Fr $241+/Nt Expedia